Birth Injury Lawyer Phoenix, AZ
After the birth of your child, everything might feel like it has fallen into place. Perhaps you notice something seems wrong immediately after they are born, or maybe a few weeks or a few months later they do not seem to be developing correctly like other babies their age. This can be a sign that your baby might have a birth injury. You likely have many questions. Could the doctors have prevented this defect? Did my doctor know about this defect? Will my child be able to recover? It can seem incredibly scary if you are unsure of whether your child will live a healthy, productive life, but getting more information on birth injuries can help you feel prepared when speaking with an attorney and filing a claim regarding your child’s birth defect. For more information on birth injuries, read from our list of frequently asked questions below.
What Are Birth Injuries?
Birth injuries happen as the result of damage that occurs to the child during pregnancy or while the child is being born. Typically, it happens while the child is in transit in the mother’s birth canal.
What Are Common Birth Injuries?
There are many common birth injuries. Some of the ones most seen are:
- Bruising. This happens when the child suffers trauma passing through the birthing canal.
- Facial Paralysis. Pressure on the baby’s face during the birthing process can injure their nerves. It is also a result of a delivery using forceps.
- Brachial Palsy. This happens when something injures the brachial plexus. It can cause the baby to lose the ability to rotate or flex their arm.
- Fractures. The baby’s clavicle or collarbone or most commonly fractured during the delivery process. This can happen if the baby is breech or if the shoulders are stuck.
- Brain Injuries. When something causes the baby to be deprived of oxygen, this can lead to brain injuries such as chronic seizures or cerebral palsy.
Is There a Difference Between Birth Defects And Birth Injuries?
Yes, there is a difference between a birth defect and birth injuries. Birth defects happen before the baby is born. They can be the result of a maternal infection or genetic abnormalities. Birth injuries happen during labor and delivery.
How Do I Know If My Child’s Injury Was the Result Of Medical Negligence?
A lawyer can help you find a medical professional who can properly diagnose your child’s birth injury through examining your child’s medical records and looking at the symptoms your baby displays. Your child’s pediatrician might also be able to point you in the right direction if they notice they are not developing normally or if there are signs of injuries.
How Do I Know If I Have a Legal Claim Regarding My Child’s Birth Injury?
If you are unsure of whether your child’s birth injury was caused by natural occurrences or if it was caused by medical malpractice or medical negligence, legal help should be your top priority. You should speak with a trusted birth injury lawyer Phoenix, AZ relies on at Rispoli Law, PLLC who will be compassionate to your case and examine the evidence.