Medical Malpractice Attorney Phoenix, Arizona
If you have been injured due to medical malpractice, contact a Phoenix, Arizona medical malpractice attorney from Rispoli Law, PLLC. When you go to see a doctor, you trust that they will be able to properly diagnose your health problem and give you the correct treatment to help you heal. While some health problems are harder to diagnose, most people do not expect to leave the hospital in a worse state than when they came in. Even worse, some people are forced to stay in the hospital because the doctor or another member of the medical team made a mistake in the patient’s treatment. When this is the case and a hospital employee has made a mistake during your treatment due to neglect, you should call a trusted Phoenix, AZ medical malpractice attorney to discuss your case as soon as possible. We can help you determine if you have a medical malpractice suit on your hands and begin gathering the supporting evidence necessary for your case. Do not hesitate any longer. Please reach out to us now.
What do you need to show in a medical malpractice case?
When it comes to proving that medical malpractice occurred, it is not simply leaving the hospital in worse condition than when you got there. Instead, a medical malpractice attorney Phoenix relies on knows there are typically four elements that must be present in your medical malpractice case.
- There was a Duty of Care. This means that the healthcare practitioner who was in charge of you while you were in the hospital had a duty owed to you. The person in question must be someone responsible for you.
- There was a Breach of Duty. The medical professional who was responsible for caring for you failed to fulfill that expected care and thus breached the duty of care. When this happens, it means that any other reasonable person in their position would have performed the appropriate actions but your healthcare practitioner did not.
- There are Damages. Because of the breach in the duty of care, you suffered some type of damages. This could be pain and suffering, emotional damage, or physical damage.
- There was a Direct Cause. The healthcare practitioner’s breach of duty directly caused your injury.
What are common damages awarded in medical malpractice lawsuits?
A medical malpractice attorney Phoenix, AZ trusts knows that common damages are:
- General Damages. When you receive general damages, you receive compensation for things like pain and suffering, loss of consortium, or loss of enjoyment of life. These are typically harder to quantify and thus are very specific to your individual case.
- Special Damages. These types of damages are much easier to quantify because they are associated with very specific numbers like your medical bills and treatments during your hospital stay, additional bills associated with your injuries (like physical therapy), or even lost income.
- Punitive Damages. If the medical malpractice that occurred was particularly egregious or intentional, the court will award punitive damages. These are awarded as a form of punishment to the medical facility, a staff member, or the hospital. Punitive damages are not awarded as frequently as general or special damages.
Call a Phoenix, AZ Medical Malpractice Attorney Now!
If you believe you have a medical malpractice case on your hands and would like to speak with a medical malpractice attorney Phoenix, AZ trusts regarding your case, please reach out to Rispoli Law, PLLC to see how we can help you.